What Are The Benefits of Chia Seeds?
Chia seeds are called 'nature's complete superfood.' With so many health gurus and nutritionists touting its great benefits, it certainly has gained much popularity in the last few years. I bought organic chia seeds for $3 a pound not too many years ago. Now that price has climbed considerably.
Here's a fun video with 10 benefits of adding chia seeds to your diet.
Chia seeds come in two colors, black and white. Both are very nutritious and the black may be slightly better.
What are the Benefits of Chia Seeds?
- Your mood will improve - chia seeds contain omega 3s.
- Your sleep schedule will become consistent - chia seeds contain tryptophan
- Your dental health will be on point - chia seeds have calcium, phosphorus, vitamin A, and zinc which help oral health.
- Your bones will become stronger - 1 oz of chia seeds contains 18% of your calcium and 30% of your recommended daily intake needs.
- Your cholesterol Levels Will decrease - they contain an impressive amount of fiber.
- Your blood sugar levels will decrease - according to studies.
- Your chances of developing heart disease will decrease - their fiber, protein, and omega-3 acids boost your health and lower your blood pressure.
- Your exercise performance will get a boost - eat them a few hours before an intense workout.
- You will lose weight - their soluble fiber slows food absorption and makes you feel full for longer.
- Your skin will clear up - chia seeds have high anti-oxidant activity.
Look for whole organic chia seeds. Several pesticides are commonly used on chia seeds that are commercially grown.
It's best to grind them right before you use them, unless they go into a smoothie recipe and you have a high-speed blender like a Vitamix. It's not a good idea to buy ground chia seeds because they can go rancid, plus the nutritional value is less. For convenience, you can grind a small amount and keep it in the freezer to use within a few days.